Saturday, July 29, 2017

Succulent Mandala #1

Succulent Mandala #1
12 x 12
Pastel on UArt 500
This begins a series of five, and not just because I'm lazy and don't want to clean up my pastels. This is a series I've had in mind for some time. Succulents, little ones. I bought 5 antique silver frames in 12 x 12, and have been waiting to have some time to begin the series. I'm doing these up similar to the Star Series (which are available in a card set or individual prints - all originals are sold). 

One of the primary reasons I'm drawn to drawing nature (Hah! Drawn to Nature), is Mother Nature's patterns. As I sat back and looked at the finished painting, I realized it looks like a mandala. I am fascinated with spirals in nature (fibonacci sequence phyllotaxy). Mandala are defined as:

noun
1. Oriental Art - a schematized representation of the cosmos, chiefly characterized by a concentric configuration of geometric shapes, each of which contains an image of a deity or an attribute of a deity.


2. (in Jungian psychology) a symbol representing the effort to reunify the self.



I'm really digging the second definition, because I'm beginning to come out of a darker emotional period to find myself again. This series couldn't be more meaningful - and serendipitous. I did not plan this....call it akashic inspiration.

I'm not sure of the species of this particular little succulent. I'll have to go back to look at one of my favorite garden store (Hill Country Water Gardens) where I took the photo. Still being in my clear state of mind, I did remember to do some progress shots. I under painted this one w/pan pastel. I wasn't sure what color of background to use, then saw the blue plastic pot. I chose to leave the pot out, but add it back...not sure.







No comments:

Post a Comment