Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Sunkissed Aloe

Sunkissed Aloe
14 x 18
Pastel on Art Spectrum Umber

After work paintings are hard to do this time of year as the light is still fading early. I did actually kick on my lamp for the last hour or so to finish this one out. I realized last night that I was really craving some painting time. I have gotten spoiled with the holidays and 4 days off in a row. The image is from my painting plan list and after work, I try to focus on smaller paintings. Now that I think about it, I probably should have gone smaller given my time frame. I just enjoyed my last aloe adventure so much, I wanted to do another aloe. So, thank goodness for electricity! I enjoyed a different color palette on this guy. This a soap aloe that has been reddened by the sun. Keep them in the shade and they stay more green. Lots of sun - they turn red. 

This work was done primarily with Terry Ludwig pastels - maybe 8-10 total. I used 1 sennelier (black/dark dark grey) in the background and 1 NuPastel to tip the spikes on the aloe leaves. I got a couple of progress shots - drawing and 1 hour in. This was about a 2 hour painting.




No comments:

Post a Comment