Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Mua Moa (First Rooster)

Mua Moa
12 x 9
Pastel on Canson (Black)
In the spirit of fast and loose, and the enjoyment of different papers, I decided to take a big departure and move from botanicals to some roosters I saw in Hawaii. When we visited a lava tube, there were several roosters in the parking lot. Here's "First Rooster" - only translated to Hawaiian thanks to Google. As you surmised, there will be more to follow. I actually worked on both side by side.

This is a quick painting and practice for an upcoming private class I'm teaching this weekend for a student who's main objective is painting birds. I need to get warmed up to birds. I do often paint birds and roosters and chickens and I enjoy how well pastels work for feather imagery. 

I also did this one on the smooth side of Canson paper. I'll definitely be revisiting this guy on sanded paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment