Sunday, January 22, 2017

Apostle

Apostle
12 x 9
Pastel on Art Spectrum Colourfix Leaf Green

Meet the apostle flower from the HTBG (Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden). Did I know what these was when I took it's photo - heck no. I just liked it!! I loved loved loved this flower and now I'm learning more about it. I liked th purple center area with stripes and the golden attachments with burgundy and lime green as well. These flowers lined the walk in the garden by the ocean. Their growing habits reminded me a lot of the butterfly or African iris we grow in Central Texas. 

Some days are easy, some days are hard. Today was a harder day for painting. I feel tight and I fought with this guy. Mostly, I fought w/the background color. I may go back to a darker color background for the white flower - contrast. I think the leaf green too much the same value. What gives paintings "oomph" in my opinion - value/contrast, simplicity, composition, lost and found edges, different application (thin/thick). I also need to review the paintings of my pastel heroes and look for white subjects and see how they handle. 

I will likely revisit this flower.


No comments:

Post a Comment