Saturday, December 24, 2016

Opuntia Overfloweth

Opuntia Overfloweth
25.5 x 19.5
Pastel on Sennelier LaCarte in Sand

This is by far the most complicated painting I have done to date. Yeah, I won't be doing that again for awhile. Whew! This is a prickly pear cactus in the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix. When I went there in April of this year, the cactus were simply overflowing with flowers. This particular one appeared as if it was on fire with the plethora of red orange blooms.

I took some artistic license with this one and changed the paddles from green hue to more turquoise. I liked that better with the orange/red of the flowers. I don't usually paint 'high key' paintings, but this one required a lighter background in my opinion to set off the orange red of the flowers. The individual buds and each of the glochids (tiny furry thorns) and big thorns were so much detail. I really got tired of it. I may have to go back to this one at some point to touch it up - or maybe I'll leave it alone.

I started this painting 2 days ago. I've come down with a cold and moving alot slower than I usually would. It's fitting that I'm finishing it up on Christmas Eve. My cup runneth over this year with love and happiness. My art work and business has been doing better than I could have predicted and I've met and exceeded the goals I set. I am blessed beyond measure and thank my Higher Power for the gifts I've been given - particularly the gift of creative talent. I am fortunate to have the ability to enjoy and share those gifts at this point in my life. I look forward to working harder than ever to develop my talents.

Joy to the World!!!!

Drawing

Pan Pastel Underpainting




No comments:

Post a Comment