Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Opuntia Orange Crush

Opuntia Orange Crush
19 x 25
Pastel on Sennelier LaCarte in Van Dyke Brown

These are some BIG orange Opuntia flowers. I do enjoy painting larger, gives me room to spread out and entertains me for a longer period of time. This was a two day painting. By the end of the first day I was thoroughly frustrated. So, I walked away bravely. The next day, I approached the painting again with fresh eyes and different energy. The painting just flowed on the second day. I think it was about using a different value scale with the oranges - more deep brown red. In regard to the other colors, I also liked the turquoise with the orange, so used that more so than green in the cactus paddle/body.

In retrospect, I could have used UArt vs Sennelier with this painting. The reason I say this is because I ended up doing a lighter background to pump up the contrast It didn't start out quite so light...it just grew into that. The under painting is using Pan Pastel. Here's the progress shots on Day 1. I did not take any progress shots on Day 2.



Starting the block in w/Pan Pastels

Finished Pan Pastel Block in and touch up w/Red Ludwig





4 comments:

  1. This is definitely one of my favorite pieces of yours. Simply stunning :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Seriously?!? Wow! Thanks Alice! I really doubted myself on this one!

      Delete