Sunday, December 18, 2016

Cholla Trio

Cholla Trio
9 x 12
Pastel on Art Spectrum in Umber
I don't think I've painted Cholla before, and that's quite surprising. These particular cholla from the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix were truly amazing in their dual color of red/pink and orange/yellow. I also liked how the light came through them to really set them off. This painting is also about just doing regular painting - whether I feel like it or not. This is a one hour painting - so 3 progress shots. I'm working to try to loosen up and yet I get so far into the details - even in 1 hour! Maybe I just need to honor who I am. Inspiration isn't always there - we just have to keep after it. The following quote came along in my weekly reading/email feed from FASO (Fine Art Studio On Line). I would also reference the book by Carol Marine "Daily Painting' and a book by Jason Horejs Starving to Successful. Just PAINT! The practice makes it better and not every day will be great...but it is progress, not perfection.

Can You Wait for Inspiration?

Some artists would argue that trying to be more productive is futile, as inspiration doesn’t come on demand. I love artist Chuck Close’s response to this idea:

“The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case.”
Chuck Close

Start

20 minutes

40 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment