Sunday, November 27, 2016

Sorghum Sentry

Sorghum Sentry
12 x 9
Pastel on Art Spectrum Colourfix Olive Green

This was my warm up painting today. I'm really getting into just doodling - just having fun and trying not to over think my paintings. Some would say "loosening up". I've been ruminating about this painting for quite some time - since July in fact. 

Back in July, I was at the Rockport Art Festival over Independence Day weekend. It's a big show - 47 years and counting. I was blessed to be able to stay at my big sisters house on the coast about 1 hour north of Rockport. Having a place to stay really helps with the costs to do shows. On the drive to/from, there is a cross street from the main road that is lined with sorghum fields. I cannot convey to you the beauty of these rich green fields topped with orange/gold tips against the turquoise blue sky. Then, I drove by at sunrise and my jaw dropped. The colors were on fire and the red wing blackbirds were flitting about the fields - oodles of them. Oh my gosh. I pulled over to take a few photos. Of course, the minute I got out of the truck, they would fly further away, so my photos weren't that great. I had to use other reference photos for the bird.

I did up this guy on an olive green background. He was truly just a playful painting. I enjoyed loosening up with him.


2 comments: