Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Fairy Dusting

Fairy Dusting
5 x 7
Colored Pencil on Hot Press Watercolor Paper

This is one of the hummingbirds I took to my most recent shows. I was so busy getting ready for the shows that I totally forgot to share this one on my blog. Being too busy is not good for my mind. I get so busy being a human doing, I forget to be a human being. Just being. Watching birds is a way of being. Watching nature is a way of being. I think that is why I enjoy painting - it's a way of meditative visual observation. I have to stop and look - and SEE - truly see. 



Degas is credited with the quote - "Art is not what we see, it's what we make others see". To date, my work has been very representational. I paint what I see for the most part. In the upcoming year, I'm making a commitment to become more free and interpretive in my work. I've been dipping my toe in the water for some time. I noticed this when I started putting blues and purples into the wings of hummingbirds a few paintings ago....and I liked it! This little girl is on a Fairy Duster plant. Thank you to my kind friend Michael S for the resource photo.

Living large (well not really very large, but getting bigger).


No comments:

Post a Comment