Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Costa and Ocotillo

Costa and Ocotillo
7 x 5
Colored Pencil on Hot Press Watercolor Paper

Here's another little bit of fun I had while at an art show over the weekend. This little guy is a mashup of a couple of photos I had of a Costa hummingbird way off in the distance sitting atop an Ocotillo stalk. Sadly, it was a poor photo, so I had to use better resource images I had of this guy (see also Chipper Costa). I also wanted him to have a pretty flower for color, so I dug up some Ocotillo photos. So, here is Costa and Ocotillo!

Drawing is meditative for me. I really like using colored pencils because they are so portable and clean. These little 5 x 7's are easy to carry too. I had been taking photos of all my hummingbird drawings to date. Sadly, I realized that was not good when I tried to do up some greeting cards of these guys. The photos leave the white paper a grey/bluish tint. So, I'm off to Photoshop to clean those older ones up. I'm scanning these white backgrounds for new drawings. Thank you to my friend Nancy H for the tip!!

2 comments:

  1. A little jewel! You make me miss making art for myself even more than I already was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alice! I understand the feeling...

      Delete