Monday, September 19, 2016

Ruhu and Blue

Ruhu and Blue
5 x 7
Colored Pencil on Aquarello Hot Press Watercolor Paper



This little Rufous hummingbird is a favorite of mine. It reminds me of a birding friend I met in Michigan during a corporate work assignment many years ago. He was one of the kindest people I've had the pleasure of meeting in my lifetime. He was always the voice of stability, reason and most importantly, compassion and peace. He did all this while being detail oriented and thorough. Through our time together, we learned that we both enjoyed birding. After the assignment was over, we remained in touch through our mutual interest in birds.

In September of 2013, I was so excited to share with him that I spotted a new bird in my yard - the Rufous hummingbird. I remember how this little bird was a 'lifer' for me. He wrote back to me and called the little guy a Ruhu. A few weeks later, my friend passed away. I knew he had been sick, but that didn't make it any easier. Since that year, the little Ruhu has returned 2 of 3 years that followed. I hope I see him again this year as he always reminds me of my friend.

This one's for you Ed - you will always be missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment