Monday, July 11, 2016

Hot Blues

Hot Blues
12 x 9
Pastel on Art Spectrum Terra Cotta Sanded Paper
Last weekend at Rockport, I sold out on all my latest Agave Originals. Every one that I framed sold, plus 2 more from the bin. So, it's time to make some new ones for upcoming shows. 

I cleaned my pastels over the weekend. I've been putting it off since last summer when I went to IAPS. I made the mistake of checking my pastel box, yup, not doing that again. I had some squashed pieces. Further, as I've avoided that, as I've been working, I've haven't been cleaning and putting away the pastels I used during painting. This resulted in a dusty jumbled up mess. I could hardly tell what colors they were any more. So, 2.5 hours later, I now have clean pastels. As I cleaned my travel box that is arranged by hue and value, I removed a lot of broken pieces. The reds and greens took a big hit during travel, but the blues remained almost unscathed. I still have ALOT of blues. So....I'll be doing a lot of blue agave soon. 

This one is from a source photo from the Chihuahua Desert Research Institute on the outskirts of Fort Davis, Texas. I did this one on Terra Cotta paper  which gave it an underlying warmth. I also liked the orange toned "heat" in the background - which is of course the complement to blue. More Blues on the way! Seems appropriate for an Austinite (well burbs anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment