Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Green Javelin

Green Javelin
19.5 x 25.5
Pastel on Sennelier LaCarte

Sometimes it's hard to know when a painting is done. Then you realize, it's an important day, and it should be finished today, as an honor or tribute. On this day, July 20th, 23 years ago, my mother passed away. She waited until her husband and all of her biological children were out of the room and asleep in the other rooms of the house. Finally, she knew it was time to rest and let go, and under the loving and dutiful watch of our very special sister in law, she slipped away into the great beyond. I was never more grateful for my sister in law than in those moments. She came and woke us, and we all gathered around my mother's bed, held hands and prayed together. For days afterwards, my mother followed me around in the form of a hummingbird. It was only later in life that I learned the Mayans believed that the spirit form often presented in the Monarch butterfly and hummingbird.

For years, I wandered about looking for my special purpose in life. When I'd had enough of the thrashing about, I found a new peaceful way of life. The steps to do so were simple, but not easy. Once I found serenity and became more peaceful and still, my artistic gift poured forth again. I felt like a child again exploring the world with new eyes. 

My mother had a green thumb up to her elbow. She loved plants, gardening, birds and her family. She was strong and beautiful, but never thought she was. I think she would have liked that I honor the beauty of nature in my paintings. I think she would have been pleased I simply honored my artistic gift. When I was little, she would set me up in the backyard under the trees with a huge drawing pad and crayons. I'm glad to be that little girl with her crayons again.

Green Javelin is a painting of an agave I visited at the Chihuahua Desert Research Institute outside of Fort Davis, Texas. It was a wonderful trip to West Texas with my childhood friend and our significant others. I've also done another painting of the same agave called Green Arrow. That was an homage to the Marvel superhero character Green Arrow. But Green Javelin is about the real superhero - my mom. I miss you every day mom. This one's for you.







4 comments:

  1. I loved the color scheme and simple style of the shapes before I read your post, now it's even more striking. Your work just keeps getting stronger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice - Thank you so much for your continued support and encouragement!!! XOXO!

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful painting and tribute to your mom! She would be so proud to see the artist and extraordinary person that you've become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula! Our community of serenity is my rock...

      Delete