Sunday, July 10, 2016

Breakfast: Aloe Side Up

Breakfast: Aloe Side Up
18 x 12
Pastel on UArt 500 Sanded Paper


Here's #3 in the "Second Breakfast" series - Mr Gila Woodpecker enjoying a sugary kabob of aloe for his breakfast. Thank you to my friend Michael Searcy for the resource photo on this one. I've been wanting to draw these aloe with a bird for some time. I enjoy the symmetry and pattern of the aloe flowers (see also Aloe Treasure). 

I struggled with this painting as well. I've not been in a good mental state for painting. As much as I try, I'm not in that peaceful serene place...and paintings are a challenge during those times. While I have no progress shots of this guy, the process started with me doing a pastel/alcohol wash. I started the painting, then wiped it down and started again. Sometimes, just knowing when to stop is hard...is it done? does it need more? This painting is a departure for me, a different sort of background and no cacti. 

There need to be two more in the pieces to the series. I am certain I will do some starlings I captured mining in an agave bloom - Breakfast Sunny Side Up. The final piece - not sure. May be a curve billed thrasher or another Gila. I did hummingbirds with an agave bloom some time ago (Sweet Spire) - but that was more about the bloom vs the birds. I do have some images that are a bit different with an agave bloom and hummingbird - maybe that one will be Grand Slam Breakfast - simply because the bloom is enormous compared to the little bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment