Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Blue Rays

Blue Rays
12 x 9
Pastel on Art Spectrum Olive Green
This is one of those paintings that has had two iterations. I started this painting, then decided it didn't 'speak' to me, so I wiped it down and started again. I had to look again and what drew me to the image. While sometimes it's color or light, in this case, it really was about the composition - or shapes in the leaves. The curves or the 'burst' of rays from a central point. I also liked the light play on the leaves as the sun peeks through the trees above. 

Here are the progress shots including the wipe down and spray with alcohol to melt the pastel. I then brushed over it while wet. Now that I look at the progress shots again I think I'd like to do a painting entirely in pan pastel - which is the underpainting - I like it!


Pan Pastel underpainting

Version 1 - I didn't like the red thorn lines

Wipe down, spray with alcohol and brush over

No comments:

Post a Comment