Sunday, June 12, 2016

Illuminated

Illuminated
12 x 9
Pastel on Art Spectrum
Sanded Paper (Burnt Umber)

I tend to paint in a series. For awhile, I've been fascinated with some cacti from the Phoenix Desert Botanical Garden that were in bloom when I visited in early April. I did this painting some time ago...wow....almost 2 months ago. I didn't share it because it didn't feel quite right. Today, I had what I considered a successful painting in a similar vein, so I went back and reworked this one. I brushed out the background I had initially put in, and I also kicked up the teal blues in the cactus paddles. 

What I've learned over time is to not judge my work too harshly. What I think is absolutely grand, others think "meh". Vice versa, when I think something is 'meh', someone will find it to be meaningful to them. So, my greatest lesson in many things in life is to "Take it Easy"....on myself and others. That is the illumination. 

I started this painting April 26 with a pan pastel underpainting on burnt umber Art Spectrum paper. I added the light blue background May 21 because I just didn't know what to do. Finally, I brushed out the blue background and kicked up the color stopping where I think I'm finished on June 12. People often ask me how long a painting takes. My answer usually has to do with the level of struggle. Some paintings take hours, others months - the results are not always commensurate with the amount of time involved.







May 21
June 12

1 comment:

  1. I've been enjoying the bright, contrasting colors lately. Your work is taking on a distinct style! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete