Monday, June 27, 2016

Halcyon Heliotrope

Halcyon Heliotrope
7 x 5
Pastel on Pastel Premier Sanded Paper

Sometimes, when I'm naming paintings, I use a thesaurus. What I wanted to convey w/the title to this one was the golden lightness of the cactus blooms against the cool purple. When I looked up gold, halcyon came up as a synonym. When I dug further on halcyon, words like pastoral, bucolic and gentle came up. Yep, halcyon was the word for me. So, then on to purple. I tried Lavender but it just didn't work, but then I spied heliotrope. Since I'm a big fan of alliteration, that was it - two "H" words. Somehow, a name like Halcyon Heliotrope seems like it should be more mysterious. I'm not sure why....I may have to revisit this painting someday.

This painting was a revisit to begin with. I reused a piece of pastel premier paper with a failed painting. I actually rinsed off the pastel in the mop sink and put it under books to dry. Here's a few progress shots so you can see the used paper and the underpainting w/pan pastel.






No comments:

Post a Comment