Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Breakfast and the Bee

Breakfast and the Bee
18 x 12
Pastel on UArt 500 Sanded Paper
This is the first of my paintings from my over 1300 photos taken at the Phoenix Desert Botanical Gardens in early April. In reality, with that many photos, there are maybe 100 that are painting material. Alot of my photography work is done in action mode so I can catch the birds and other animals in interesting poses. This is one of them.

I observed this Gila Woodpecker early Sunday morning foraging for his breakfast. He was watching the bees buzz about as he set himself down to what was previously their breakfast. I liked this particular one since he was focused on the bee and the patch of red shows on the top of his head.

This painting is an addition to the Desert Breakfast Club series (Saguaro Side Up, Balanced Breakfast, Home Sweet Cholla, Breakfast Fruit Cups and Breakfast Party of Two). However, this is the second round, so I was searching mentally for how to add these into the club. The first series was named after a John Hughes film "The Breakfast Club", but what about this next group? Well they are second - so Second Breakfast....and an homage to The Fellowship of the Ring: 
"I don't think he knows about second breakfast. What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner?"

Here's a couple of progress shots.




No comments:

Post a Comment