Saturday, March 12, 2016

Pink Columbine

Pink Columbine
5 x 7
Pastel on Pastel Premier Sanded Paper

I went to visit some friends and they had bought some flowers for planting. It was such a treat to see this Columbine blooming. I couldn't resist taking a few photos. 

People often ask me how I'm able to paint so many paintings. There's no big secret - I paint in the evenings and on weekends. But what really helps is to paint small. I often paint in the 9 x 12 and 12 x 18 range, especially in the last 6 months. But I had forgotten how freeing it is to paint 5 x 7. 

After my workshop last weekend on loosening up, I feel the need to continue in that trend of being loose. It helps to do small things - no chance for big mistakes or big losses. If I don't like it, wipe it down and start again. In fact, this painting was something else I started, didn't like, so I wiped it down. Easy - no great loss.



No comments:

Post a Comment