Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Echinacea

Echinacea
5 x 7
Pastel on Pastel Premier Sanded Paper

I have a new goal or way of trying to stay fast and loose. Aside from painting small so I don't have a big commitment, I can also put a time limit on myself. I know - so novel huh? Yeah. No. It's been done for ages...but it was like an "aha" moment for me.

Anyway, these are some purple cone flowers (Echinacea) I saw on a Saturday morning by the coffee shop. I couldn't resist stopping to take some photos. By afternoon they were in a painting. 

Painting time - 30 minutes. I probably still fussed with it longer than I should have. I think it lost some of it's "freshness". I think painting is like taking standarized tests sometimes. I took boot camp type class in how to pass a certain test (e.g., the Project Management Institute PMP test). In the class, you learn your testing style. For example, I learned I am a "bad" answer changer - I should stick with my first instinct rather than second guess and change my answer. The majority of the time I did that, my answer was right to begin with. So it is with painting, I need to stick with my first instinct. I'm actually starting to develop one!

4 comments:

  1. I would beg you to stop watching the clock.

    Open yourself to your subject and then just do what you do. Fifteen minutes, ninety minutes, no problem. Creativity and execution HAVE NO LITERAL CLOCK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about trying something different to loosen up and being more thoughtful about my next stroke of the pastel. I think I can do that w/o a time limit too....it would be another interesting exercise....

      Delete
  2. This has a nice energy to it. I like the direction you're exploring.

    ReplyDelete