Sunday, March 27, 2016

Blue Morpho

Blue Morpho Study
9 x 12
Colored Pencil

I'm getting to know the Blue Morpho butterfly as I prepare for my next series of paintings. They will be part of a series of paintings inspired by my trip to Tulum. While in Chichen Itza I saw a Blue Morpho and a Heliconius melaponum (or something like that - rectangular black butterfly with red bands on it's forewing). We also saw Monarchs. These along with the Mayan ruins in Chichen Itza and Coba inspired some paintings including the butterflies, flowers along the way and some mayan ruin influences. So far there are three paintings in the series and I'm considering two more which will inlude the Yucatan Jay and an oriole of some sort I also saw in my travels. 

I ordered some butterfly models - so was getting to know the Blue Morpho using colored pencils.

2 comments:

  1. These colored pencil things you're doing are luminous. I'm always glad to see them!

    ReplyDelete