Monday, February 15, 2016

Yucca Bloom



Yucca Bloom
12 x 9
Pastel on Richeson Board


I've been sick for over a week and boy does it feel good to paint - and of course finally feel better. I'm finally on the downside of this ridiculous illness. One week of bed, sleep (lots and lots of sleep), antibiotics, cough medicine, mucous stuff, and wow. I'm so over it - and hope I'm over it. 

I've been thinking alot about yucca flowers.  I had seen one in my neighborhood before I got sick, but it had faded by the time I got back to it Sunday morning. Then, I drove to drop off some paintings for a juried event (thank you to Judge Marla Bagetta for acceptance into the Austin Pastel Society Juried show). All along the way, I looked for yucca in bloom. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch. So, I came home and made a store run for some supplies - including Yakult to try to get my intestinal flora back in business. The downside of antibiotics - intestinal nonsense - exactly what I wanted after being sick. As I exited the grocery store, I took a different door out of the building and viola! There was a yucca in bloom!!! Hurray! The best part is that it was down at my level!!! I took a few pics of it in situ, then plucked a couple of stems.

I came home and happily sat down to draw and ultimately, my first painting in a very long time. Hmm...almost a month. Yes, I've been doing some homework, drawing for my botanical illustration class, but I finally got to draw just for me. 


Sadly, I do think my muse is kind of missing right now. I'm trying to figure out what to do to find her. I probably need a nature outing...but I'm going to hold off for a bit until this cough is finally gone. 




No comments:

Post a Comment