Monday, February 1, 2016

To Burr or Not to Brrr....that is the Acorn

Burr Oak Acorn
Side View and Bottom View
Cup Scale Detail
This past weekend, it was so delightful in Texas - high 70's - so not BRRR as it should be in January. Instead, I worked on drawing BURR oak acorns as I continue my distance lessons of Botanical illustration in colored pencil with Wendy Hollender. These are images of a Burr Oak acorn. If you've never seen one, you're in for a treat. These things are ginormous!  I got really frustrated with the side view. I had to calm down and do detail on only the 'scale' repeat pattern. The repetition was calming and meditative - one of the many reasons I draw. Once my mind was quiet, I figured out what to do. 

After I put the actual acorn up to the drawing did I see that I represented it much too rounded. The acorn cup is much more squared off. So, I'll be doing that again. 

The lesson also includes learning pattern from a pine cone. Though I'm in search of pine cones to borrow, I found this Burr Oak cup served as a good starting point. 

Can you tell I'm really enjoying these classes? By the way, I felt guilty for sitting outside and drawing all day. Why is that? Why do I feel a level of guilt for doing this? I need to explore that feeling more.
Burr Oak vs Red Oak Acorn and a dime for size
Bottom View with Actual Acorn
I couldn't get the real acorn (Left) to set straight
Side View with Actual Acorn
(and the prior drawings of the Red Oak acorn)



2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh These are fantastic! I love what you are doing. Thank you for sharing. I think I will take this class as well. I miss botanical drawing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete