Saturday, February 27, 2016

Mountain Laurel Seed Pods Study

Mountain Laurel Seed Pods Study
12 x 5
Colored Pencil on Paper

Today was a doodle day. It was a gorgeous day in Texas and I took advantage of the afternoon to draw outdoors. 

I heard something from a friend today that struck me as profound. She said "You can't pour from an empty cup". I realized in that moment that indeed, I've been trying to pour my art from an empty cup. My inspiration, my muse is nature and I've been indoors for weeks. It was time to get out. Just walking in my garden and seeing the Mountain Laurel in bloom filled my cup. The further I explored the more my cup was filled with Verbena and Salvia Gregii already blooming and Lorapalatum about to bloom. I also spied a gorgeous sedum in bloom. 

As my botanical illustration classes with Wendy Hollender continue, we will be moving into leaves next. I couldn't pass up this opportunity however with the Mountain Laurel to do a few more round shapes - the seed pods. I also collected some seed pods for Pride of Barbados that I will play with next. I did bring in a few Mountain Laurel flowers. I've started to work on that image, but it will take a while. It is very complicated.

Off to travel for work tomorrow. Good thing pencil colors are easy travel companions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment