Sunday, January 3, 2016

Agave and Cactus Wren

Agave and Cactus Wren
18 x 24
Pastel on UArt 500 Sanded Paper 

This is an example of what happens when one goes into a half baked idea. I can't even say I was half baked, just impatient and arrogant. I was composing a good photo of a cactus wren with an old photo of a wren and an agave that was over exposed. What I didn't have was a desired photo of a particular agave, just the one I didn't want to use. I've painted alot of agave, so thought "Oh yeah, I'll make this up". Well, no. I started this painting 3 days ago, then wiped out the agave to make it come up under the wren. Then he lost his long legs. 

There are things I like, the wren, for the most part. The agave colors, particularly the blue shading, but not it's shape and leaf formation. It's kind fo a surreal painting - not very realistic. Ugh. I'm over it for now, but I WILL revisit this painting with a better more formulated plan.


The sketch - already the wren and agave are too large/small respectively


Here, the wren has good sized legs

The agave wiped down, I realized it was too small





No comments:

Post a Comment