Sunday, November 22, 2015

Totem Chicks

Totem Chicks
18 x 12
Pastel on UArt Sanded Paper

Wow. It's good to be back at the easel again. It's been a very busy month with shows and a vacation since my last post. I started this painting 3 weeks ago and I was finally able to get back to it this weekend. I was so grateful to be able to spend time painting and took two sessions to finish up this piece up slowly and methodically.  I was like a man who had been lost in the desert without water. I drank greedily and was reluctant to put it down at the end of the first day. There is just something about painting that brings me peace and quenches the creativity inside of me. When I'm unable to find time to paint, I feel like a part of me is missing. Today, I am complete.

The inspiration for this painting came from my cousin Sandra's potted Echevaria (also known as hens and chicks). I was intrigued with the light and color of this arrangement. I was also fascinated with the pattern of circles in the leaves of the little succulents and the repeating circles with the three plants and the pot in which they were held. The extra feature that I struggled with was the woodgrain. I decided to tackle it and see how it went. Here's the photo inspiration and a few progress shots.










2 comments:

  1. You just get stronger! Nice to see you back at the easel, too. It's hard to be away.

    ReplyDelete