Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Daybreak Dining 2

Daybreak Dining 2
9 x 12
Pastel on UArt 500 Sanded Paper
Here's another pass at Daybreak Dining. This one is different from the first because I went with the original background of trees from the resource photo. I also did this one with a watercolor underpainting. This is another study of a painting I plan to do much larger as the center piece for "The Desert Breakfast Club" series.


Version 1 (left) Version 2 (right)
Here's the side by side on version 1 and version 2. I like the "open" feeling of version 1 and the environment seems to have more depth into the distance because of the open sky. The bird also has more of the focal point because of the simple background. However, the values are too much the same betwen the sky and the yucca spikes. Version 2 gives me a more early morning feel and feels more intimate as if walking through a shaded treelined area. I kind of see Version 2 as the initial early morning walk into the garden. The rest of the "club" arrives as the morning presses on the rest of the birds come out as the sun starts coming up. What are your thoughts?














1 comment:

  1. Not too many trees/forests where the cacti grow. I prefer the open sky -- seems more realistic and reminiscent of the desert.

    ReplyDelete