Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Breakfast: Over Easy - I'm so Over it!

Breakfast: Over Easy
18 x 12
Pastel on Uart 500 Sanded Paper
Here's the Gila Woodpecker having his breakfast.  He looked all cute and stuff in his picture. Deceiving little bugger. The reason I chose him in this posture was because his little yellow underside was showing - sunny yellow like a little egg yolk. I considered "Sunny Side Up", but I just named a painting Saguaro Side up - so that wouldn't do. So, I reconsidered and decided the painting should be named "Easy Over" because he's kind of hanging there looking like he's about almost upside down. 



I've been struggling with this painting for weeks - since early August. I'm still struggling. I'm beginning to think I'm about over this not so easy painting! Ugh. I think it's just a failed composition. First of all, it's a composition of several images. The original image had alot of business, so I took the bird and flower and left the rest. I pulled the saguaro and flowers from other images. It went through alot of iterations. I finally took midpoint photos to my tablet and edited there. Here's the individual pieces of the composition and my editing. The painting midway through is on the right, my electronically edited version on the left, extra flowers for balance drawn in. So, I made some changes.


After the chanages were made, I decided I didn't like the flower on the upper left. Too pointy and distracting. So, I eradicated the offensive flower and replaced it with a flower bud. In the end, I still don't like this painting. Mostly, I think it's the composition. The woodpecker is in Saguaro jail - too crowded. Too many distractions. Maybe, he's just too big and goofy looking.


This may be one for "the cropper". Here's a cropped shots. In the end, there are aspects I do like - the saguaro texture, the thorns, the flower he's chosen. 

I'm definitely going to have to sit with this one longer.....or hide it in the shitake drawer.

Cropped 9 x 12 (Landscape)
Cropped 12 x 9 (Portrait)


No comments:

Post a Comment