Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Breakfast: Party of Two

Breakfast: Party of Two
18 x 12
Pastel on UArt 500 Sanded Paper
This is another of the Cactus wren series and also of the "Breakfast" series. The photo resources are from my June visit to Phoenix Desert Botanical Gardens. I liked these two wrens together, sharing their breakfast. I liked the angle on this shot of not only the saguaro, but the birds as well. One bird, engrossed in the meal, the other gazing into the distance ensuring they get to keep it all to themselves. I seriously considered naming this painting "The Breakfast Club"...but two does not make a club. I've been seeing a group of starlings every morning gathered at sunrise together by a telephone pole. Those guys are a club - like clockwork in the same place.

There are a few others in this Desert Birds and Breakfast series so far. Two I have published - Daybreak Dining and Breakfast: Saguaro Side Up.  I do plan at some point to reprise Daybreak Dining with it's Gila Woodpecker in a stand of saguaro to a larger format. The first was a study/test run. There is a 3rd, Breakfast: Over Easy, which I haven't published yet because I'm still working with it - pondering as the case may be.I do have some quail I'm considering as well. For now, I'm ready for a change...but I'm not quite sure what it should be. That means it's time to go to yoga and clear my head so more creative thoughts can be set free.

Here's the original photo and a few progress shots. I've still been staying "in the zone" and forgetting to set a timer and take photos. I did a watercolor underpainting this time for a change of pace. My watercolors and watercolor paper have been calling my name....







No comments:

Post a Comment