Sunday, August 30, 2015

Balanced Breakfast

Balanced Breakfast
18 x 12
Pastel on UArt 500 Sanded Paper
I'm still working through my series I've dubbed "The Desert Breakfast Club". 
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day - and my personal favorite. Though it's highly likely that it's probably the coffee part I like best. What's even more important is a balanced breakfast. This Cactus Wren puts the term balanced breakfast in a whole new light. He literally has to balance on needles to get his breakfast. This guy is really taking balanced to a whole new level as he is doing the split to balance and get at the saguaro fruit.



This painting was a challenge for me - the multiple saguaro and oodles of needles. How to represent the needles without overdoing or underdoing. I'm kind of torn about whether to crop out some of this painting. So, I took it my laptop and played with the image. Here's the side by side. Once I looked at them side by side, I think I like the fallen saguaro in the background because it a) gives the painting depth, b) points to the wren, c) keeps the wren off center vs right in the middle, and d) just adds interest in general. As I was putting together this post, I realized there is even a third landscape crop which maintains the fallen saguaro, but gets rid of excess saguaro at the bottom


Original 18 x 12
12 x 9 (Portrait)

9 x 12 (Landscape)

I'd like to hear your opinions on "to crop or not to crop".  Of course there is always the shitake drawer too. My friend Paula named it the shitake drawer. They are paintings I think look like sh*t and they get stuffed in the drawer to stay in the dark to see if they grow (or I grow as an artist). It's the "I'll get back to that later" paintings.

7 comments:

  1. The 12X9 is my pick--but you've seen how I crop everything. There's never a doubt as to where my emphasis is in an image.

    Also, I copied your last still life that I raved about. I tried re-editing it in a number of ways. NO EDIT improved on your original image! It's just an excellent piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael! I look forward to seeing your art work!

      Delete
  2. I like them all, but my favorite is the 9x12 landscape because I like the detail of the bird and seeing more of the saguaro "forest" - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you +SEP - Steve I think :-). I'm staying mum on my original opinions - for now.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No cropping. Original is perfect.

    ReplyDelete