Sunday, June 21, 2015

Hill Country Harvest


Still working through light and volume studies. These are Texas Hill Country peaches in a ceramic bowl on a dishcloth. Initially, I worked from "from life" - the actual setup of peaches on my dining table with north light from the adjacent window. I really liked the purple, red and yellow of the dishcloth with the orange, yellow and red of the peaches. My kitchen walls are really green as the background appears. Then, I left on a work trip, and of course, the peaches had to be put away and were ultimately eaten.

I did a couple of studies of this. The first one was with me sitting down at the table with my paper on the table - yikes! Yes, must step back to look at my work. I did a second pass on a small 5 x 7 piece of UArt. Finally, I did this 9 x 12. Now that I see the resource photo, I have to say I really do like the composition with the top edge of the chair in the background. The version with the chair removed seems kind of bland. I might be doing this one again. 

Peaches remind me of my Dad. My Dad had 3 or 4 peach trees, 2 tangerine trees, 2 orange trees, a grapefruit tree, a fig tree, and a lime tree. He took good care of his fruit trees. He always kept Milky Ways in the freezer and brought me chocolate milk before bed. He took good care of me and worked very hard. Happy Father's Day to my dear 'ol Dad! I miss you every day.


5 x 7 Study

Rendering and initial lights

No comments:

Post a Comment