Saturday, June 13, 2015

Butterfly's Treasure

Butterfly's Treasure
9 x 12
Pastel on UArt 500 Sanded Paper
One man's trash is a butterfly's treasure. Beauty is everywhere we look, if we only look hard enough - but sometimes we have to work for that new vision. There is symbolism in the butterfly on the half eaten apple. Is the famed apple from the tree of knowledge in the garden of Eden? Does the butterfly symbolize some level of metamorphosis after eating the apple? The apple and butterfly are in a pile of discarded food - trash - or is it a compost pile? Will new life spring from this - like the butterfly from the caterpillar? There are 3 cheerios. Cheerios are circles - like the circle life, the eternity, the trinity.

This is the painting I started when I was in Sally Strand's workshop at IAPS (International Association of Pastel Societies). Initially, I created an image that was a likeness of the original photo, which included some confusing/unidentifiable elements. This painting helped me to solidify several things I learned in the workshop. I learned the "color of light" is about the quality of the dark or contrast. I also learned more about composition and taking artistic license. I've been reading through Andrew Loomis' Creative Illustration as well. This book covers quite a bit about composition and was also recommended by Sally. 

In the original image, what interested me was the butterfly on the half eaten apple. Additionally, the strawberries point to the butterfly and half apple. The three "pointers" apple and strawberries, also point to the butterfly. The rest of the items are inconsequential. So, I changed some of the elements of the original photo to include some old purple cabbage (or red romaine) vs more uneaten food and plastics. I'll a lot happier with my new composition.

Perhaps, this is a metamorphosis for me - the start of a new way of painting perhaps.

Resource Photo

Original composition from class


No comments:

Post a Comment