Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Milk and Honey

Milk and Honey
12 x 9
Pastel on UArt 600 Sanded Paper
This is a weed..."just" a weed. Amazing and beautiful. Antelope Horns Milkweed in central Texas where I live is so very important in our ecosystem for our Monarch butterfly populations. For years I've had some growing near our pond and I'm ashamed to say that I pulled it up repeatedly. It was fuzzy and prickly. I had not seen it bloom until about 2 years ago. Thank goodness it fought me repeatedly until I learned what it was. 

I find this flower simply astonishing. It looks artificial it's so beautiful. It's a creamy greenish white bloom has an almost waxy appearance - hence the artificial appearance. When you get really close to it, you can see the beauty of the pattern. The purple and lilac extensions of the star points (stamens perhaps?). The center pistil/ovary area is green and brown and the stripes correspond perfectly with the star points. Symmetry in nature is a beautiful magical thing. I suppose that's why I like painting botanical specimens and animals. When I paint, I look - REALLY look at the source. It is then that I amazed by the details of beauty- even in a weed.

I think sometimes we perceive ourselves as less than the perfect children of the universe that we are. But we have a purpose and a beauty - especially in our imperfection. It's all about our progress not our perfection. This 'imperfect' weed has a very special purpose for the butterfly. I'm so taken with the idea of imperfection that I'm considering ways to add an intentional surprise in all of my paintings. Something that some may not see as beautiful. See if you can find this one. There is another one in "Lotus Contemplation"

XOXO KK - we'll be missing you. See you on the other side....


No comments:

Post a Comment