Thursday, April 2, 2015

Purplicious

Purplicious
12 x 9
Pastel on Wallis Sanded Belgian Mist
A few days ago, I posted on my Facebook page about how excited I was that my Mountain Laurel bloomed. We had a late freeze and where the shrub/trees faced north, the flower cluster buds froze. There were however some protected sides, and they are blooming away.

Mountain Laurel flowers smell like Grape Bubble Gum. When the flowers are finished blooming, a seed pod forms. My nephew pointed out to me that when we were little, we called it the "Cat Poop Bush" - because the seed pods look like cat poop. Inside, the seeds are red - and tough as nails. If you want to plant a seed to grow Mountain Laurel, you have to catch them "young" before they are too hard and nick the coating before planting. 

Anyway- I enjoyed creating an image of the Mountain Laurel blossom. The plant has very rich dark green leaves that just create a sense of coolness. I wanted this painting to convey that sense. I hope you enjoy "Purplicious"  - my play on "Bubblicious" bubble gum.

Thanks for visiting and reading. Shares are welcomed!



No comments:

Post a Comment