Friday, April 3, 2015

Floral Demitasse

Floral Demitasse
12 x 9
Pastel on Wallis Sanded Belgian Mist
This painting is a departure for me. The image is more about pattern and shape than detail. It's the 3rd time I've visited these claret cup cactus flowers. When I've painted this subject previously the perspective was at the level of the flower instead of looking down. This time, since I've been doing cactus flowers straight in the last few paintings, I thought I'd do the same with these. With these little claret cups, the circular flowers is repeated by the circular cactus tops. Furthermore, the petals of the flower seem to have a ripply or wavy flow, which is also echoed in the undulations of the cactus. 

The Claret Cups in my neighborhood are getting ready to bloom again. Little cups that scream out to me from the side of the road - "look at me". Little cups with a big impact - like a demitasse of espresso.

Thank you for visiting and reading. Shares are always welcomed!

2 comments: