Saturday, March 7, 2015

Tokens and Memories

Tokens and Memories
12 x 9
Pastel on Canson Mi Tientes Touch Grey

I've been in a workshop today with the very talented Mike Beeman. Today, we learned about building up color and carving out of shapes - painting shape not line. We also did an exercise called "color notes". Typically, I would have called the exercise a simple study, but it is oh so much more. It's a roadmap, a test and an education in the piece of interest. And indeed there is interest in each of the pieces of this composition for me on many levels. 

The feather - is a wild turkey feather found in my yard
The gourd - a gift from my sister in law
The turquoise beads - made by a woman in Africa who works on for a cheetah rescue organization. She is the friend of a friend who lives in Utah
The cairn of extraordinary square rocks - found on a walk with my friend in Utah

The items in the still life are not just tokens, they represent more than the objects or their origin, but the people and memories they represent for me. The lessons I learned today and the camaraderie of the artists with whom I spent time with today are cherished as well. I look forward to more lessons tomorrow. T

1 comment:

  1. It's so nice to be able to connect with one's 'tribe!' Nice work on the painting, it sounds like a treasure on more levels than one.

    ReplyDelete