Monday, February 2, 2015

The Berry Bandit

The Berry Bandit
12 x 9
Pastel on Canson Paper
This time of year, the Cedar Waxwings arrive in search of berries to eat - cedar berries, yaupon berries, and pyracantha berries. Sometimes, from the freeze and thaw cycles, the berries are a bit fermented and we end up with drunken birds lying about. Yesterday, the Cedar Waxwings caught my attention while I was in the studio painting. I heard several birds hit the dining room windows in rapid succession. Since they flock, they probably all got confused with the window reflections. A quick check revealed that none had knocked themselves out or gotten injured. So, I went out w/the camera and snapped a few lovely pictures. They flew away too soon. I hope they return. You can expect more Cedar Waxwing paintings to come. I also got some shots of a red headed house finch and a titmouse. This painting was a quick "doodle"...but I liked it and thought I would share with you.

Likely, it's time to replace our "Bird Alert" window decals. If you have problems with birds hitting windows, these little decals do they trick. To us, the decals look like frosted glass images of leaves or whatever pattern you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment