Monday, February 16, 2015

Rusty Spurs

Rusty Spurs
18 x 12
Pastel on UArt 500 Paper
On a recent photo shoot in the front yard, I noticed one of the blue agave had a "burnt" sort of leaf. It was a wonderful dark orange or rusty color.  Rusty sharp spines, I thought of rusty nails and tetanus shots. But these aren't really nails, more like little pointed spurs..like a grass spur or sticker burr. I really liked how the rusty orange color blended in with the turquoise of the agave. Those are two of my favorite colors together - turquoise and rust. Reminds me of the magnificent red rocks and endless turquoise skies of the great Southwest United States. I've added some progress shots below.

I'm in the process of doing a few more larger botanicals to add to my stock. I had TWO of my botanicals accepted to the 2015 Austin Pastel Society Juried Exhibit. Thank you to our judge Mike Beeman. This is absolutely thrilling, yet it also means that I need to make more pieces for the upcoming Artists Alliance of the Hill Country (AAHC) Studio Tour in which I'll be participating. I want to be sure I have some big stuff to choose from. You can see details about both shows on their respective pages (see links above). I'll also be sharing details as events on my Facebook page. I hope you'll check it out, LIKE my page, and please SHARE. 





1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I ADORE your plant work. There is something about your color selections and the angles that really speak to me. This is BRILLIANT!

    ReplyDelete