Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Banana Split

Banana Split
11 x 8.5
Pastel on Archival Card Stock
In Texas, we have a variant of the Lesser Goldfinch.The Cornell Lab of Ornithology "All About Birds" site lists the bird as the "Lesser Goldfinch - Texas Form". The male has a black back with white patches - almost resembling a ladder. Honestly, he's a rude little dude. He's very territorial and possessive of the feeder, frequently chasing other birds off the feeder when they land. I had a friend who called them the "Flying Bananas". 

When I zoomed in on this photo to paint, I realized this guy was holding on to the feeder while he ate. Usually, if I have a photo of a bird on a feeder, I take some artistic liberties and put him on a tree branch. In this case, I just had to pass on what I saw - he's doing the split. Hence, the name of the painting - "Banana Split"! 

2 comments:

  1. Nom nom nom. Happy bird :)
    For some reason, my eyes like the complexity of the feeder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nom nom nom. Happy bird :)
    For some reason, my eyes like the complexity of the feeder. :)

    ReplyDelete