Monday, January 5, 2015

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope
12 x 9
Pastel on UArt Paper

What kid doesn't enjoy a Kaleidoscope? I remember holding a Kaleidoscope up to the light as a kid and seeing the light glint through the crystals as the patterns tumbled around. The pretty colors and patterns, each so beautiful and followed by yet another lovely one. Exciting and soothing at the same time. 


As I was painting this warm little cactus, the shape and pattern reminded me of that moment as a child. This cactus is similar to the "Cream Spike" Agave in size and color (see my post from last year - Venti Agave with Cream). However, this one has stouter leaves and crenelated edges. It's called - Agave potatorum ‘Kichiokan’ (or ‘Kissho Kan’). It was cold yesterday, but sunny, so I was able to take some new photos. This cactus lives by my front walk up to the house. I started the painting with a pan pastel under painting, then followed up with various soft pastels including Sennelier, Terry Ludwig, NuPastel and Mungyo Gallery. I really enjoyed putting the purples, blues and reds together with the greens and yellows. Then finally circling it all in the warm sunny orange. Hope it warms you up on a winter day!


PS - I squashed my right index finger between two large rocks over the weekend. My painting will be much slower and probably a bit funny looking for awhile. 







4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! Purple is my favorite color - which I love to pair w/orange! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. Really nice perspective on this one.

    ReplyDelete