Monday, December 22, 2014

Suncatcher

Suncatcher
12 x 9
Pastel on Art Spectrum Paper in Deep Ultra
This is an agave in the entry courtyard at the Phoenix Desert Botanical Garden (heaven on earth in my opinion). I arrived early in the morning - 6:30 or 7 am and the sun was just coming up. This lovely agave was catching the light just so and the shadow vs light was very distinct. The green in the agave just glowed. The salmon pink edges were like waves of fire on the leaves. 

I really enjoyed doing this piece, it "fell of the brush" or the stick as the case may be. It laid down easily and with a minimum of adjusting. I sketched it in w/a lime green pastel pencil and underpainted with pan pastels. I finished it out with a mix of Terry Ludwig, Sennelier, and Nu Pastel. I wasn't as diligent with my timer on progress shots this go round. 









6 comments:

  1. Your value contrast here is perfect! Nice, deep darks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Alice Jo! I really value your input as a degreed artist :)

      Delete
  2. Oooo! Was this one on DPW? It looks like one that caught my eye there! Great job! Great light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita!! Yes, this one was on DPW and just sold!

      Delete
  3. I was blessed to be able to visit the Phoenix Botanical Gardens in September of 2013. This Eastern girl had a hard time with the dry air and heat... but loved these gardens. I took a lot of photos and hope to convert a few into paintings... the light there is wonderful. I love your cacti paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cate Kauffman! Phoenix light is amazing isn't it! Glad you share the love!

      Delete