Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Dragon

Dragon
18 x 24
Pastel on UArt Paper
This is a painting I started much earlier this year. I set it aside because I got frustrated with the subject. It is a fairly large piece and I didn't want to just give up, so I set it aside. I picked it up again as I was cleaning my studio and thought "I'll give it a shot". I'm glad I did!

This is another plant from the Phoenix Botanical Gardens. It's in the bromeliad family and is called "Deuterochonia crysantha". It is very colorful across the spectrum of red, orange, yellow, and green. I took some artistic liberties since technically, it doesn't grow on stems. The photo had another plant alongside from the genus Senicio. 

It's my own artistic alchemy of plant and image. The two together looked like a fiery asian dragon puppet on sticks during the Chinese New Year, and the artistic alchemical fire created this dragon. I suppose it's kind of timely that I came back to this dragon as the new calendar year is upon us.

But first it's Christmas....and time to enjoy family! I wish you all a very Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment