Monday, December 15, 2014

Agave and Wren

"Agave and Wren"
12 x 9
Pastel on Art Spectrum - Blue Haze
Still working through the blahs. I don't like winter. I live in Texas. I was made for heat. I prefer to soak up the sun on a rock like a lizard. Someone told me I once ate a lizard as a child. Didn't make me turn into one. Anyway...I digress.

So, I've also heard that when we're stuck in a rut, we should get back to basics. For me I went back to the beginning. My start painting in pastels was primarily with botanicals - especially cacti. I decided to dig through my stash of Phoenix Desert Botanical Garden photos. I had wanted to paint this cactus wren perched on agave for quite some time. This photo brings to mind the sound of cactus wren which in turn reminds me of the smell of the of the desert - the creosote and mesquite. It immediately causes me to breathe out and relax whenever I think of it. 

The photo itself was not so good, I was using my tablet to take photos as it was an impromptu trip and my phone battery was really low. I liked the way the sun backlit this cactus wren. I played up the colors in the agave to really emphasize the drying up bits against the living blue green. Here's a couple of progress shots and my resource photo.









2 comments: