Saturday, November 15, 2014

Flag

Flag
11 x 8.5
Shizen Pastel Paper (Brown)
with Clear Art Spectrum Primer
This guy is a test on some new paper recommended by one of my pastel artist heroes - Enid Wood. The paper is Shizen Pastel Paper. All Shizen papers are handmade in India from 100% recycled materials using a pollution-free process. This acid-free, 200 gsm pastel paper is made from 100% cotton rag and comes in a variety of colors. My sister purchased some and shared a few sheets with me. She recommended I try them with some primer for more tooth. I primed them last weekend before I left for a work trip. They were patiently waiting for me when I got home. These are my first results. This guy is on brown paper with clear primer. The available colors for this paper are absolutely delicious. I look forward to trying some more. What's really cool about these is the deckled edge. I tried to show this in the photo, but since my board is also kind of brown, you can't see the edge well. I'll use a different color next time so the edges are more visible.

The subject is my friend Gaynor's rooster. Sadly, she doesn't have them anymore, nor as of recently, does she have her ducks. A coyote was heard in the distance one evening, and in the morning - the ducks were gone. Anyway, I liked this guy. He seems quite military to me in some way. Very proud and straight. He is mostly white (with some ivory, greenish brown mane feathers) and has of course a red comb and waddle. Since I put his red and white against a blue background - to simulate the blue farm equipment in the background - I realized he's quite patriotic as well - hence his name. Too bad I didn't get to post him on Veteran's Day! 




No comments:

Post a Comment