Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Fire Wheels

Fire Wheels
7 x 5
Pastel on UArt Paper
In Texas, some call these flowers "Indian Blanket". Many years ago (I won't say how many), I went to Southwest Texas State University (now known as Texas State University). There was a building named after this flower's scientific name - Gaillardia. I remember when I learned it was named after the flower. Only now do I have the realization that the flowers ARE the school colors - Maroon and Gold. When I was naming this painting, I looked up Gaillardia to see how to spell it. I searched by "Indian Blanket" and also learned these flowers are called "Fire Wheel".  I decided I liked the fire reference and anyway, one wouldn't want to confuse these with Indian Paintbrush which blooms in the spring.

I spied these guys up in Utah on my trip there in September. During the painting process, I got to practice more blending on these guys, using my fingers to blend the yellow into the red. Such happy little flowers - they made me smile - in real life and on paper.



No comments:

Post a Comment