Saturday, October 4, 2014

Another Day for Scarlett

Another Day for Scarlet
7 x 5
UArt Paper
Price: $45
I'm working to get back to painting regularly after what seems a very long hiatus. It's been about a month since I've painted regularly. I've worked on a few small things off and on as well as one larger piece - which I'm still not happy with. I've just been in a general funk. I've learned that when I've been in away from the easel, I forget my basics. I also remember what Karen Margulis said in her blog about expecting that the first painting of a session is a warm up and may be a dud. Once you expect that, you get it over with and move on. 

Today, my warm up was a male cardinal. He's a dud, but I like him as a subject, so he will get another chance. Then I did this female. I wondered what to name her. Naming paintings is challenging some days. Sometimes, I use a rhyming dictionary website which also pulls up a thesaurus - just to give me ideas. I looked up cardinal and the word scarlet came up. I thought it only fitting a female cardinal be named Scarlett! Then the line from "Gone with the Wind" came to mind - "...After all...tomorrow is another day." The full line is "Home. I'll go home. And I'll think of some way to get him back. After all...tomorrow is another day." The resource photo for this piece was taken in the morning, a new day. The male cardinal will get his due later. Clearly, he'll be named Rhett - and I'm thinking along the lines of "Frankly my Dear..."




No comments:

Post a Comment