Sunday, July 6, 2014

I Hear the Mission Bells

"Evening Bells"
12 x 9
Pastel on Art Spectrum Paper
Later this month, I will be traveling to San Antonio to deliver two paintings.   "Aloe Spires" sold at the June show at the Alternative Art Gallery at Unitarian Universalist (UU). Along with that, I'll be delivering "Santa Fe Purple Allium" - also affectionately known as "Purple Snowballs in Santa Fe". 

Before I deliver the paintings, I'll be checking out the San Antonio mission trail for inspiration and photo taking. I am tremendously inspired by missions and their history. My ancestors from the Canary Islands settled the San Antonio area in the early 1700's. It's said that Juan Leal Goraz is buried at or near the San Fernando Cathedral - which is not on the trail, but still in San Antonio.

I'm so excited about the trip, I returned to painting missions. Today's entry "Evening Bells" is another interpretation and angle of "Esperando (Waiting)" which will be on exhibit at The Old Bakery and Emporium from July 10 to August 7. The inspiration for both paintings came from a trip to Scottsdale. It was late evening in September and the light was almost gone and the sky was that perfect color of midnight blue just before dark and and it's time to turn on the lights. I'll have to get a photo of "Esperando" next week. The framing turned out fabulously. It's in a gold frame and it really makes that blue sky glow.

Esperando (Waiting)
11 x 11
UArt Paper
This painting is Framed

No comments:

Post a Comment