Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pot, Turquoise Doors, Pink Walls and The Cure

Pot 'O Barrels
9 x 12 Black Canson Paper

Skull and Blue Door
12 x 9 Black Canson Paper

Pink Wall Green Tree
20 x 16 Canson Paper on Board

Ha! Gotcha with the Pot and bright colors reference huh? I've not moved to Colorado, but rather, I'm taking inspiration from Scottsdale and heads over doors. I have waited so long to paint and it's finally here! The Cure's song comes to my mind ....

I've waited hours for this, I've made myself so sick
I wish I'd stayed asleep today
I never thought that this day would end
I never thought tonight could ever be this close to me
Just try to see in the dark, just try to make it work
To feel the fear before you're here
I make the shapes come much too close
I pull my eyes out, hold my breath and wait until I shake
But if I had your faith
Then I could make it safe and clean
If only I was sure
That my head on the door was a dream

Read more: The Cure - Close To Me Lyrics | MetroLyrics 

The Head on the Door was a dream.....In my case it was a skull - goat of some sort I think. So yeah, I finally got to paint today, and boy was I feisty and it truly was my "CURE" for what ails me! Today I focused on just painting without much thought and total freedom. Shapes and colors galore. I felt since it's been so long since I painted, I had to just "warm up" and "practice" - hence the canson paper vs sanded paper. I've been spending a lot of time in Scottsdale, AZ and I stay at a hotel in Old Town when I'm there. It's so inspiring not only because I love the cacti, but because everything in Phoenix and Scottsdale is done with an aesthetic eye. Not to mention that I'm only a few blocks away from Main Street and "Gallery Row". Here are the source photos I took that inspired the paintings. I think they may take away my artistic license for driving WAY outside the lines today. 


The Pot of Barrel cactus reminded me of "Barrel of Monkeys" we used to play with as kids. The Skull and door - well, the door just screamed to be turquoise blue - so it is in my world. And last, the pink wall - well - it really was that intense pink. 

Barrel Cactus in Pots by Fountain at my Hotel


Bischoff's


Pink Wall at Distrito


2 comments:

  1. Love it! Of course The Cure caught my attention. Art and music - keys to unlock our hearts and minds. Thank you as always for sharing your beautiful visions. PS the band will be in Denver in September. Maybe too much "pot" to consider going, but it is a thought that they may schedule an individual concert like they did in El Paso around ACL last year. Will keep watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts on art and music and the heart and mind!!! Thank you taking part in my vision sharing process and for watching for more Cure dates!!

    ReplyDelete