Saturday, June 28, 2014

Experimental Poppies

Orange Poppies Blue Window
10 x 8 - Archival Card Stock


Orange Poppies Purple Allium
10 x 8 Archival Card Stock
with Art Spectrum Primer





The fun is kicking in again and I can't paint fast enough! It's said that "pain" or "trouble" is the touchstone to growth. Indeed - the painting blahs of the last couple of weeks are passing and I've learned a few things. I've been in the painting blahs. For a change, I have been using some archival card stock in a terra cotta orange, and a deep golden yellow. It's acid and lignin free paper, but it's smooth - or at least the stuff I have is smooth. it works okay for a couple of layers of hard pastels and maybe one soft. Earlier this week, I was ordering some Art Spectrum paper at Jerry's Overstock sale and thought, what the heck, I'll try the primer. I've seen Rita Kirkman use it on her blog and it seems to go well. When using the prepared papers, I tend to like the storm blue, terra cotta, olive green, elephant grey. Since I was in the terra cotta mood from my card stock, I ordered a small jar. As a test, I applied some to my archival card stock. I also applied to a used piece of UArt, and a used piece of Canson Paper.

The first painting "Orange Poppies Blue Window" is done on the smooth paper. The second "Orange Poppies Purple Allium" is done on card I prepared with the art spectrum primer. I'm in LOVE with this primer. Oh the fun! Oh the possibilities with supports. I'm getting ready for a whole lot more painting!





4 comments:

  1. I love poppies...the paintings are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eileen, thank you for the appreciative thoughts. It's easy to paint things we love. Poppies are one of my favorites too. They remind me of my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, lovely. You, I, Rick and Casey need to make a trip to the No. Cal. coast next spring. The flowers were OFF the charts spectacular! My pictures don't do them justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Big (er - DogHawk48). Ah yes - the poppies in CA - gorgeous! I look forward to some photos!

      Delete