Friday, May 9, 2014

Yucca Castle....for Carmen

I have a sweet friend who's momma really liked yucca flowers and birds. This one's for her. Carmen was a sweet little lady. I am honored to have met her and am blessed to have her wonderful daughter in my circle of friends.

Yucca Castle

I stopped to admire the majestic flowers on this yucca near our mailboxes on my way home. When I got out of the car to take pictures and got closer to the stand of plants, I found I had intruded near someone's home. Mr Mockingbird had made a home in these yuccas and gosh darn it, he was on patrol - in a big way! This was his castle and he was pretty proud of it. 

I did this piece on Art Spectrum "Terra Cotta" sanded paper. I knew I wanted the deep portions w/in the yucca flowers to be dark rusty orange, and as I dug through my pile of smaller pieces of colored paper, this one was perfect. I did a bit of under painting in purple. Here's the progression of the painting. At the 3rd photo of the progress, I realized there was a little "face" in one of the yuccas. That had to go! 

I liked this subject so much, I will probably do another version perhaps on UArt Paper which is plain beige and I can do more under painting. It's a bit of a cloudy day today, so I don't think my photos are giving a true color of the painting.

Thanks for following along and allowing me to share my painting efforts with you. If you like what you see, please share!








2 comments:

  1. Love it. Thanks for the links to these. Beauty is a thing that refreshes the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is my absolute pleasure to share my work. I am honored. Thank you for the comment and for readin.

    ReplyDelete